In the pilot of the TV series The Newsroom Will McAvoy, played by Jeff Daniels, is asked to answer the question, ‘What makes American the greatest county?’ He goes off on a rant that says why American isn’t so great. If we are being perfectly honest, he’s right. Who is without faults?
Perfection is a process and an unobtainable goal worth striving for. It’s the process of self improvement that makes us great. To acknowledge greatness in ourselves is saying we have nothing left to improve. Ceasing forward motion leads to the fall.
We’ve read our own press and gotten big headed and complacent. It’s not a terminal condition.This blog is about drawing attention to issues we can improve and finding solutions that split the difference between the far left and the far right and focus on the answers that fall somewhere in between.
At least for today I’m going to focus on what’s good about this country. I’ll give you my top six. I encourage you to think about what you are thankful for, with yourself, with your family, and with our country. Please share below your thoughts on why you are thankful you live in American. For today forget the spots and see the beauty.
- I’m thankful for our Constitution. Our Founding Father wrote a document that is timeless. It is just vague enough that it is open to interpretation to how it relates to our times. And though we argue about it’s meaning it will lead us back to the right answers when we care to let it.
- I’m thankful for our geographical gifts. This nation is large enough and diverse enough that it has everything we need. Any climate can be found within our 50 states and territories.
- I’m thankful for our diverse population. We have every nation under the sun represented within out borders. It gives us a flavor that is uniquely American as customs and cultures melt together.
- I’m thankful that we have the ability to freely air our differences. We are like the loud family at the dinner table. The tone varies with the topic. For sure, someone always has something to say. When we take the time to actually hear what others are saying there are answers to our issues worth pursuing.
- I’m thankful for the individual members of the military who protect us. Every nation has soldiers and sailors that represent their country. Call me biased since I served, there is an attitude and a willingness to sacrifice for more than just our country’s freedom.
- I’m thankful for the enormous potential we have in spite of our short comings. Even though we stumble at times we will right this nation if we learn to listen to each other with true compassion.
Please share at least one reason why you are thankful to be an American. Happy Thanksgiving to all.